Wednesday 17 September 2008

Desperately seeking....?

WARNING: This here is where my pithy observational blog turns desperately and momentarily Bridget Jones. Maybe I'm over-tired, maybe I'm overwhelmed but is everybody in this city hooking up, making out or holding hands in MY PUBLIC SPACE? STOP IT. Please. The first four hundred times it was charming - London the new Paris when it comes to love blah blah blah. But seriously - enough is enough. I'm broke, potentially homeless and currently unemployed - must we highlight single as well? Whatevs. Just please get a room.

Speaking of... still looking, still fighting the rising panic that London is full only of mad people and dodgy accommodation. I looked at a room this evening in Whitechapel - renaissance ghetto is a term that comes to mind. Nuh-uh is another.


House-hunt/panic ongoing it's nevertheless still been an interesting way to explore London. Wandered through Shepherd's Bush on Saturday - kind of a big hole full of Australians - but a gorgeous sunny day which encouraged a stroll to Notting Hill and Portobello Rd. Gone are the days of frivolous purchasing sadly but je-sus those triple chocolate brownies make a case for "essential buy" status...

School is still going well - off to the Tate Modern again tomorrow and counting down the days until the Mark Rothko retrospective opens (10 in case anyone is interested...) First assignment is due in a fortnight - a 400 word exhibition review. Now if only they were going to pay me 40p a word to write it...


Have been walking the streets of central London quite a bit the last week, looking for galleries and tarot readers and the like (while fighting off the Heathrow Injection... multi-task, multi-task) and yesterday I came across my first Banksy work - on Newman St. Not sure how I feel about Banksy but I like his wit. And I like that for whatever reason it's been allowed to stay. For now anyway.

More house-hunting tomorrow. Oh and a hard-hat tour of the Whitechapel Gallery's renovations. Just for something different.

No comments: