Thursday 22 August 2013

The first of the lasts. And another first.

I should be packing for Berlin (I did mention I was going to Berlin somewhere back there didn’t I? August long weekend? Plane tickets a birthday present from the husband? Pilgrimage to my favourite city One Last Time? Ringing any bells?)

Anyway – we’re off tomorrow after work and I am so looking forward to it. Four days to bike around, eat good food, drink wine in the sunshine and trawl flea markets for treasure. Happiness on a stick.



It also feels like an important pause as our return to Sydney date looms ever closer and the days and weeks start to blur with rude impatience and I start to panic about, well, Everything.

I’m trying not to prematurely over-sentimentalise but I don’t think it’s unrealistic to imagine that I probably won’t be walking home this way again anytime in the next eight weeks.


The first of many The last time I…

God.

I found myself moseying home via Tower Bridge because I’d been drinking wine in the aftermath of a warm late summer’s day at the rather lovely, eponymously titled 40 Maltby St with some rather lovely friends. 


A wine bar, cellar and kitchen it’s taken up residence under one of the Bermondsey railway arches. The inside is pretty charming, the immediate locale is pretty ordinary – the view from our pavement table was a monstrosity of a building site – but the wine is fucking sensational and we indelicately hovered up the tapas-style plates of meat, dips and cheeses so it’s safe to say they were pretty good too.


Hopefully it won’t prove to be a first visit and a last visit.

God.

No comments: