Friday 9 July 2010

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs



Apparently ten days of sunshine DOES a summer make. We've gone from hot and sunny to hot and cloudy to cloudy and muggy to cloudy and muggy with a dash, not a hint, of rain. I'm not sure where this is going but it isn't to the beach.

It's been a mixed bag of a week. And I know it's a cliche and I know it's boring and I know it makes me sound shockingly, gasp, English, but I think it's the weather. The humidity has sapped my mojo and I feel like wilted lettuce has more enthusiasm than me at the moment. Add to that an ongoing series of tumbleweeds through my inbox when it comes to job applications, internships and all manner of career advancements and it amounts to pallets of beige paint.

And then two days ago I woke up and it was diagnosis homesick. I just miss my family. I miss coffee with my girls. I miss Bondi. It's meant sooky sorta tears on the bus and a big dollop of meh. I'm sure it will pass and one could also, I imagine, blame hormones in some small part - and so I've been doing my darnedest to distract myself with all sorts of fun and goodness. And goodness it's been fun. Mostly I've been cooking. First there was san choi bao, then there was mango pudding, then there were fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, tonight it was gazpacho. Hello, delicious. I'm not sure what's next but I've been enjoying finding new things to whizz in the kitchenaid.

And then, when I haven't been cooking I've been having little love affairs with art all over town. Currently I'm crushing big time on the V&A. Last week I saw two exhibitions there and was utterly wooed. The Quilts exhibition that now holds the record for the most pre-booked exhibition in the museum's history and an architecture show looking at ideas of refuge and creativity in small spaces. Two totally different shows, two totally different crowds of visitors but just so much to think about, reflect on and, best of all, climb into. Thankfully what energy I have been able to muster has gone into reviewing them for my soon-to-be-released upon the world website.

My writing and my ongoing weekly appointment at the Portrait Gallery are the only things keeping my ego stitched together at the moment and there has been some love - finally - on the freelance front, with the art magazine at home I used to write for, the ever wonderful Artlink. And I don't just say that because they have commissioned two pieces from me (one of them based on my dissertation) or because, fabulously, they have made me their Contributing Editor in London. An honorary title to be sure but I am honoured and it makes my writing and my pondering and my art excursions feel a little less extravagant in the face of an income most 16 year old babysitters would find competitive.



I'm not sure what this weekend holds but I'm excited to be seeing cousin John, who is town for work, and to be finding new and inventive ways to maintain some semblance of a respectable hairdo in the face of this god awful mugginess. I'm not wishing winter upon us - rest assured - but is a nice ocean breeze to much to ask for?

No comments: