Thursday 14 January 2010

And so it begins

Hello two thousand and ten. We meet at last. Gulp. You, me, unemployment and a fucking big freeze that has London and I frozen through to our very tippy toes. Where oh where is this year going to take us I can only begin to wonder...

LB and I returned to London yesterday after a glorious three weeks in Sydney. Swimming and stone fruits and family and frozen margaritas on Bondi Beach and friends and barbeques and more swimming. And sun. Lots and lots of sun. It was terrible.

Jetlag notwithstanding, today has been reasonably productive with an extensive but thus far fruitless job hunt, a vat of hot homemade soup and a resolution to see 2010 the year of making friends.

Truth: I am freaking out/panicking/anxious/worrying excessively about what this year has in store. The last time I was without job prospects I was, well, come to think of it, I've never been short of a possible something somewhere and job hunting is so 2009 for someone rapidly approaching 30 and still struggling to describe herself professionally in 25 words or less. I say professionally because undoubtedly there are 25,000 words to describe me otherwise, with "neurotic" and "punishing to be around" currently in contention for the top spots...

My horoscope (ever a reliable indicator of success) informs me that January will be the start of tremendous professional accomplishments and a highly memorable year. Does anyone know if you can sue the planets if they get it wrong?

Anyhoo, me, my jetlag and my hot water bottle are off to bed. It's snowing outside and a balmy 1 degree. Fantastic.

Let the year begin....

No comments: